SBF COVID-19 Safety Protocols
Following the input provided by followers of the festival, attending Authors, Sponsors and LITERATI members, along with consultation from local health professionals and the Chatham County Department of Health, The SBF Board of Directors has approved safety protocols for the 2022 Festival.
To ensure the well-being of our patrons, authors, volunteers, and staff, Savannah Book Festival has implemented the following safety measures:
- Mask Policy: Patrons must wear a mask while inside any SBF venues during the festival, regardless of vaccination status. Masks should cover the nose and mouth and should be worn at all times while inside the SBF venue. Masks are encouraged outside whenever social distancing is not possible.
- Vaccination Policy: Festival attendees are required to show (1) proof of being fully vaccinated† or a negative COVID-19 test result* taken within 72 hours of arrival AND (2) a photo ID.
- Pre-show Verification: Patrons will have the option to provide vaccination confirmation electronically via the My Bindle app. Click here for information on how to use the My Bindle app. Please note SBF will only be using Bindle for vaccination verification, not negative test verification. Negative test verification will have to be done on site. Information on how to download and use the Bindle app can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
- On-site verification: Stations will be available to provide verification on the day of the event, beginning 1 hour prior to the event. Headliner stations will be outside the Lucas Theatre. On Festival Saturday, three (3) stations will be available, one in Telfair Square, one in front of The Savannah Theatre, and one in front of The Lutheran Church of the Ascension.
For those who are uncomfortable or unable to meet the safety protocols in effect during the festival, SBF will be live streaming the author presentations on Festival Saturday, February 19. Links to each live presentation will be provided on our website.
† According to the CDC, individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks (14 days) after receiving their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines. Booster shots are not required when providing proof of vaccination at SBF venues.
*A negative COVID-19 test result may be printed or shown electronically. At home tests will not be accepted. To be valid, a negative test result must have been performed by a licensed healthcare provider or laboratory. The test must also include the date that the test was performed, your name, and your date of birth.
Children: Children 5-12 years of age are required to follow SBF’s mask policy and provide proof of vaccination or negative test. Children under age 5 are not allowed at indoor SBF events at this time.
Attendance is voluntary and carries some risk of exposure to COVID-19. By attending SBF events and entering an SBF venue you voluntarily assume all risk and liability for any damage or injury to person or property, including exposure to or infection with COVID-19.
Please stay home if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19, or had contact with a person who has or is suspected to have COVID-19 within the past fourteen (14) days.
SBF reserves the right to revise its safety policies and protocols.
Free COVID-19 Testing Through Chatham County Public Health Department
Anyone who would like to be tested for COVID-19 can get free testing through the Coastal Health District. Even individuals who do not have symptoms can be tested.
You will not have to pay for a COVID-19 test through the health department. If you have health insurance, they will bill your insurance policy, but you will not receive a bill.
Pre-registration is required. Once you are pre-registered, you can go to the testing site any time it is open for your test. Just bring your booking ID with you, or take a screen shot of your QR code when you pre-register.
Click here for more information from the Chatham County Health Department regarding their free COVID testing: CCHD
SBF has partnered with the health verification app, Bindle, to verify proof of vaccination on mobile devices and ensure a smooth entrance to SBF events. Please note: Bindle can be used for vaccine verification, NOT negative test verification. The Bindle app is safe, secure and available free of charge to SBF attendees.
Bindle safeguards COVID-19 vaccination records and test results in a secure, blockchain data locker, keeping personal health and identity information strictly private and anonymous. Based on the entrance criteria of the space the individual is seeking to enter, Bindle will produce an anonymous entry pass, where no personal health information is shared.
How to Use Bindle
Setting up and using the Bindle app is easy. You can follow the instructions below and reference this video:
2. Create an account using one of the two options: “Auto Import” by uploading an existing vaccine QR code or “Manual Set Up” by providing your name, selfie, email address and birthdate. (If you are using the Auto Import function, Bindle can ingest QR codes from SMART Health Cards.) As a final step, you’ll be prompted to type in a verification code that is sent to your email address
3. To upload your completed COVID-19 vaccination information including COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card, go to My Certificates on your Bindle and tap the “+”* icon and follow the instructions to create a digital health certificate.
*If for any reason you don’t see a “+” on the screen please reduce your “Screen Zoom” and “Font Size” in your phone’s “Display and Brightness” system settings.
4. Once you’ve uploaded the necessary certificates, go to My Passes on your Bindle, search for 2022 Savannah Book Festival and click Create Entry Pass.
5. If you meet the health requirements for entry, Bindle will generate an Entry Pass with your photo and QR code.
6. Present your Bindle health verification entry pass to the venue staff when entering.
If you have any questions, please contact Bindle at email@example.com